If you're bored and looking for some fun board games to play with your girlfriend, then you've come to the right place. We've selected 16 games that will keep you both entertained without an expensive night out!
Check them out below...
- Often compared to Chess, Hive is a strategy game that ends up being very competitive.
- There’s no board, and all of the tile pieces have different bugs on them, each with their own moves.
- Players have the goal of trying to prevent their queen from being blocked in by other players, and since the tiles can be played in most any way, this game is always changing.
- Unlike other strategy games, it’s perfect for just two people and games often last less than 15 minutes, which is great for a fast game.
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
- Unlike many two player board games, this one is a cooperative game, which is wonderful when you aren’t feeling like playing against each other.
- Players work together to try to cure all of the diseases in the world and prevent them from spreading.
- While players control their own pawn, they have to be coordinated or the game will get progressively more difficult to beat.
- Thanks to the high level of communication required and the strategy you need to create, this is a great two-player game to enjoy with your significant other.
- Even though this tends to be a fairly quick game, you do have to like strategy games to enjoy it and to get the most out of your time playing it.
- The main goal of the game is to try to control as much territory on the board as possible.
- Players are limited, however, in how much territory they can gain by a deck of cards that they have to draw from.
- Players who enjoy the game Go will love Mainframe, as there is a little unpredictability in this game, and being able to respond to the moves of your opponent immediately makes playing it with just two people incredibly enjoyable.
- This is a great cooperative game for two players to enjoy together.
- By moving pawns and flipping boards, players have to work together to find a flying machine that was buried in an ancient desert city.
- Each time you move, the winds can blow and more of the desert will be swallowed up by sands.
- Partners have to be able to communicate clearly with each other about the best moves for you to take next and be willing to work together to achieve your goal.
Race for the Galaxy
- This is a fast-paced game in which players must build their own empire using technology, aliens, and planets that they have in their hand.
- This game gets much harder than it appears because players are limited in what type of card they can play, as different game phases will be used for each turn.
- Players have to quickly understand their priorities and know how to create the right card combinations to enjoy the best chance at being able to build the most powerful and advanced space society.
7 Wonders Duel
- This competitive board game is only for two players, making it great to enjoy with your girlfriend.
- Players take turns selecting cards from the table and trying to turn them into a powerful combination.
- There is an element of luck to playing this game, as the cards will be put out on the table in random order, and the game can quickly become intense if you take the one card that your girlfriend needs.
- It is packed with strategy and is considered a great drafting game for only playing with two players.
- Fans of H. P. Lovecraft will enjoy this cooperative game where you and your partner have to team up to face eldritch horrors.
- Both players will have their own deck for their character and then use their cards to find secrets, fight back and vanquish horrors, and work together to beat this narrative campaign.
- Because there are so many different cards that can be used, it’s easy to enjoy a completely different game each time you sit down to play.
- Expansion decks are available to ensure that even when you think that you have finally mastered the game, it is more difficult than you ever thought possible.
- While this game may look incredibly easy when you first set it up, it actually is very challenging and relies heavily on both resource management and spatial awareness when you’re playing.
- Players have to fit differently shaped quilt pieces into an 8 x 8 pattern, but the catch is that most pieces are inconveniently shaped.
- Pieces that aren’t inconveniently shaped are very expensive and will use up your resources.
- This is an exclusive two-player game and is very reminiscent of Tetris, making it perfect if you love spatial awareness games with a bit of competition.
- This two-player game is perfect for people who tend to get a little aggressive when playing board games.
- It’s incredibly easy to learn and plays a lot like poker or rummy, but involves a lot of strategy as you try to surprise your opponent, gain tactical advantages, and win various flags.
- The trick with Battle Line is that you have to begin making plays before you have collect all of your sets, which means that every card you play has to be put down at the right time and you also need to become a master at bluffing.
- One of a series of abstract games, YINSH is a fascinating challenge in which players compete head-to-head by moving rings on a hexagonal board.
- Each move leaves behind markers of your own color, and by connecting a chain of your own color you can easily win.
- The real trick is that each move alternates between black and white, so you have to plan ahead a number of moves to be able to create a chain of your own color.
- Since you will be competing against your significant other, you always have to consider what their next move may be and the color ring it will leave.
- This is a great trading game that is designed specifically for only two people to play at a time.
- Playing as an Indian merchant, you must collect goods that you can then sell to your customers in bulk, but the market isn’t working in your favor.
- Players are constantly trying to outsmart their opponent, sell early for high prices, and know when to hoard and when to let go.
- As a repeat play game, this is a great option, as it constantly reveals new tricks so you don’t get bored.
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
- While this game can be played by one to four people, it’s perfect for two to work together and team up against the horrors and realities of being stranded together on a desert island.
- Not only will you have to build shelter and find food, but you also need to explore and deal with uncovered mysteries.
- The great event deck keeps this game moving along and can mean that you accidentally make mistakes in the beginning that will come back to haunt you later on.
- Enjoy the strategy of trying to survive while playing through a number of scenarios.
- You and your significant other can play this game six different ways.
- There are 100 thought-provoking cards and 200 illustrated culture cards that are used in unique combinations.
- No matter if you want to play a skill game or one that is fast, there is something for everyone in Megagame.
- There’s sure to be lots of conversation and laughter as you play Metagame, which is great if you aren’t in a very competitive mood and really want to just enjoy each other’s company.
- If you do decide to play with more people, up to 33 people can play at a time.
- While winning Squirrels! may seem easy since you only have to collect five matching nut cards, there’s nothing simple about this game.
- With defending, attacking, wild cards, and neutralizing cards scattered throughout the deck, Squirrels! offers the ability for players to customize the rules as they play
- Each time that you play will feel like a new and fun experience.
- This is a fast-paced and highly strategic game that may look silly at first, but is actually a lot of fun, full of mayhem, and will have you constantly thinking ahead about how you can block your opponent and win.
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
- This two-player version of the strategically heavy Agricola requires you to make the best possible decisions to build a farm.
- While it may sound cute and easy, you have to be willing to split your resources between building your farm and obtaining the animals that you need to get points.
- The game only has eight rounds, which means that every decision you make counts and can have a huge impact on your success.
- This fast and easy game can be expanded with the available expansion options, which will make the gameplay more involved and give you more work to do in the same short timeframe.